1. What are MOD (Manufactured-On-Demand) DVDs and Blu-rays?
DVDs and Blu-rays are manufactured via one of two methods – laser burning, or stamping. Both methods create an image that a DVD or Blu-ray player can read.
MOD DVDs and Blu-rays use the laser burning method which is more efficient for lower volumes. MOD has made it possible for companies to bring out rare films that may not have the customer demand to justify large volume stamping runs.
2. Why am I redirected to MovieZyng.com when I click to order MOD titles on your site?
Flicker Alley MOD orders are fulfilled by Movie Zyng. This means that any MOD titles you order are separate from your Flicker Alley shopping cart. Movie Zyng offers $1 flat rate U.S. shipping and $1/disc International shipping on all MOD titles.
3. Will MOD DVDs and Blu-rays perform like I expect?
Yes, your MOD DVD or Blu-ray will look and operate identical to a stamped disc. Unless you know what to look for, you’ll have a hard time telling the difference between an MOD disc and a stamped disc.
Our MOD titles are produced to order by Allied Vaughn – the company that manufactures MOD DVDs and Blu-rays for Warner Archive, Fox Cinema Archive, The Universal Vault Collection, National Geographic and many more. A few reasons why these major studios use Allied Vaughn for MOD, and why you can have confidence in their MOD discs:
1) Allied Vaughn uses premium industrial grade disc burning equipment. These machines cost tens of thousands of dollars each and use laser burning drives that operate at a much higher level than the disc drive you have in your home PC. Additionally, Allied Vaughn regularly uses special equipment to test each drive ensuring the laser and mechanics are performing at or better than required specifications, and that it is producing first-rate, top quality DVDs and Blu-rays.
2) Allied Vaughn also uses only top grade industrial DVD and Blu-ray media – vs. the consumer grade discs you can buy at your local computer store. This media is also regularly tested and has been approved by studios for use.
3) High speed digital printers ensure the packaging looks professional and the DVD or Blu-ray is one you’ll be proud to collect.
Since the MOD process began to be embraced by the major studios in 2009, many millions of MOD discs have been produced and sold. Movie Zyng’s experience has been that MOD DVDs and Blu-rays perform comparably to stamped discs. With appropriate care – your MOD DVD or Blu-ray will provide you with many years of enjoyment.
Finally, Allied Vaughn guarantees their MOD DVDs and Blu-rays against manufacturing defects. Simply put, if it’s defective – they replace it. So, you can rest assured when buying a Flicker Alley MOD title.